29 August 2011

LAHORE : DENGUE FEVER 1000 cases.

Eid congregation venues yet to be fumigated

LAHORE, Aug 28: As dengue fever patients have touched the 1,000 mark in Lahore alone, the Punjab health department and city district government of Lahore are yet to fumigate a number of parks where Eid congregations are to be held, it is learnt.
Large-scale movement of people to and from the Punjab capital may also worsen the situation as carriers of the disease can be the major risk for the spread of the dengue virus.
The respective authorities already struggling hard to prevent dengue spread have reportedly ignored bus, train and airline terminals from where massive travelling is expected ahead of Eid.
The health and medical experts believe that these places may become potential threats to the health of a large number of passengers.
They say especially goods, luggage and other articles in public transport may cause spread of dengue mosquitoes if timely and effective fumigation or spray was delayed prior to Eid. Similarly, the CDGL has no plan so far for fumigation at parks and open places where Eid prayers are to be offered in the morning. Any negligence in this regard may pose a threat to the health of scores of faithful as the Aedes Agypti is active in the morning and in the evening.
According to a source, efforts to control dengue fever in the city also affected when differences developed between Lahore Executive District Officer (EDO) Dr Umer Farooq Baloch and the Punjab health department officials over the number of patients tested positive for dengue virus.
In a recent meeting, Dr Umer Baloch has raised an objection to the reporting mechanism devised by the Punjab Directorate General Health Services to collect data on dengue fever patients in the city.
The source said the health EDO claimed in the meeting that some health department officials had reported around 950 dengue patients in the city while the actual number was not more than 450.
When contacted Punjab Health Director-General Chaudnry Muhammad Aslam said there was no separate plan for places like Lorry Adda, railway station, Niazi Bus Stand etc. for fumigation.
He said instructions had already been issued to the CDGL officials for fumigation at such public places besides schools, public toilets, marriage halls, etc. To a question about the differences over the number of patients, he said the health department officials collected data from public and private hospitals of the city and later forward it to the health EDO.
He said the EDO later finalised the dengue cases after verifying them from the respective health facility. During verification process, he said, the EDO expressed his doubt about some dengue cases owing to duplication and incomplete particulars of patients.
He, however, said there was no difference over the number of dengue fever patients between the health department officials.
Dr Umer Farooq told Dawn that some 450 people were diagnosed with dengue in the city so far.
He said some health department officials had entered names of several patients twice in the final list of confirmed dengue patients besides mentioning some of those patients whose particulars were incomplete.

UK NHS: TELEPHONE ADVICE.

Your internet doctor will see you now: NHS plan for patients to consult doctors online

By Lee Moran
Last updated at 9:26 AM on 29th August 2011

Plans: Professor Sir Bruce Keogh has unveiled a technological revolution within the Health Service
Professor Sir Bruce Keogh said that IT will 'completely change the way we deliver medicine' making access to GPs at any time a reality and giving patients the ability to talk to specialists anywhere in the country

Patients will be able to hold online consultations with doctors as part of plans to revolutionise the health service, according to the medical director of the NHS.
Professor Sir Bruce Keogh said that IT will 'completely change the way we deliver medicine' making access to GPs at any time a reality and giving patients the ability to talk to specialists anywhere in the country.
The health expert told The Times newspaper he was looking at using online services such as Skype to make the NHS more convenient for users.
'I am looking at how we can put levers into the system to encourage doctors to do online consultations,' he said.
'Once you have online consultations, it breaks down geographical boundaries. It opens up the spectre of 24/7 access.'
Sir Bruce said that the health service had a long way to go before it caught up with the technological progress of recent decades, arguing that the service had to change to make use of new technology.
Doctors leaders and patient groups warned the internet should not become a means to cut access to GPs or transfer out-of-hours care to overseas call centres, but admitted budget cuts could force the NHS to rethink the way services are provided.

 

Katherine Murphy, chief executive of the Patients Association told The Times that patients would 'embrace' the proposals 'in the right setting'.
'There is scope for initiatives like this. If you child has a rash, your GP could look at it and say "you need to come in" or "you need to go to hospital". It may speed up the process.'
But she added: 'We would be concerned that it could translate to more frustration for patients. People are already concerned that they are spending less time with their GP and we wouldn't want this to be a way of reducing that further. It should always be the choice of the individual.'
Niall Dickson, chief executive of the General Medical Council, said online consultations would be 'appropriate for some patients'.
Laurence Buckman, chairman of the British Medical Association's GP's committee, said it would work when a doctor was familiar with the patient.
He added: 'The problem comes when I don't know the patient.'
The health expert told The Times newspaper he was looking at using online services such as Skype to make the NHS more convenient for users
The health expert told The Times newspaper he was looking at using online


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2031265/NHS-plan-online-revolution-medical-director-says-patients-soon-able-consult-doctors-internet.html#ixzz1WQRIW8wi

UK: VENEREAL DISEASE in CHILDREN

Boy, aged ELEVEN, treated for chlamydia as 1,000 under-16s seek help for sexual diseases

By Jessica Satherley
Last updated at 1:08 PM on 29th August 2011

A boy of 11 has been treated in hospital after contracting a sexual disease, a shocking survey has found.
He is the youngest among a group of children under 16 who have been treated for sexually transmitted infections in UK hospitals.

The figures have revealed that almost 1,000 under-16s have been diagnosed with venereal diseases such as herpes, chlamydia and gonorrhoea in the past three years.

The number of youngsters seeking treatment was revealed by a freedom of information request, that also listed two 12-year-old boys among those infected.
Importance of sex education: Two young girls learn about contraception at a sexual health clinic (library image)
Importance of sex education: Two young girls learn about contraception at a sexual health clinic (library image)
They were treated for genital warts and herpes by Chelsea and Westminster Foundation Trust, while the 11-year-old was treated for chlamydia.

A 12-year-old girl was also treated for herpes between 2009 and 2010, according to the information published by the Mid Essex Foundation Trust.

Although some trusts did not release their information, those that did revealed unsurprisingly that the older the patients got, the more problems they had.
 

Since 2008, there have been 44 girls and two boys aged 13 who have received treatment for STIs, the Daily Mirror reported.
Of those aged 14, there have been 200 youngsters treated for infections and 602 aged 15 attended clinics with sexual health problems.

Almost three times as many girls were treated than boys and chlamydia was found to be the most common infection.

The Family Planning Agency told the newspaper: ‘Investment in sexual health services pays off and spending on sexual health services should be sustained.'

They also said the findings highlighted the importance of parents and schools to promote safe sex.

Meanwhile, it was reported earlier this month that more than one in three Britons has unprotected sex with a new partner while on holiday.

And the poll revealed that people in their 50s are the age group least likely to use contraception with a new partner – putting them at the highest risk of contracting an STI.

Around 16 per cent of those in their 50s polled didn’t practise safe sex, compared with just four per cent of holidaymakers in the 26 to 30 age group and six per cent aged between 22 to 25.

The survey, by The Co-operative Pharmacy, who polled 3,000 people, cited alcohol and poor availability of condoms as the main reasons people did not use protection.


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2031342/Boy-11-1-000-16s-treated-sexually-transmitted-infections.html#ixzz1WQKUw18G

28 August 2011

ISRAEL: REAL IMAGING BREAST SCANNER

 

Breakthrough breast cancer scanner detects lumps without using X-rays

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 5:03 PM on 28th August 2011


The current method: A mammogram uses X-rays to detect breast tumours
The current method: A mammogram uses X-rays to detect breast tumours
Scientists have developed a new type of scanner that is claimed to be more effective at detecting breast cancer than conventional mammograms.
The new machine finds tumours in the breast without the need for radiation by using infra red beams and thermal energy.
In a major trial of more than 2,500 people, the technology was found to be 92 per cent effective at detecting breast cancer in women compared to just 80 per cent for traditional mammograms that use X-rays.
Results of the study are due to be published soon in the leading medical journal Radiology.
Trials - involving another 2,500 women - are expected to take place next year at a major London teaching hospital and major hospitals in Barcelona and Paris.
Scientists at Real Imaging - the Israeli inventors -have discovered that women with breast cancer produce different signals on the surface of their skin which is detected by the machine without coming into contact with the breast.
The device is also set to get an official EU seal of approval by the end of the year allowing it to be used in the UK.
Two wealthy British billionaire businessmen, David and Simon Reuben, have invested £11 million in the company after a close member of their family developed breast cancer.
 

The company claims the new technology has a major plus that allows detection of cancer in younger women who generally have denser breasts.
There is a growing pressure for the UK national breast cancer screening programme to include women under 50. But one drawback is x ray mammography. Compared to older women it is not as effective at detecting cancer in younger women where cancer is on the increase.
The new machine - which was tested at major university hospitals in Israel -was found to be as effective at finding cancers in younger woman as older women.
Billionaire brothers Simon and David Reuben invested £11m in the new breast technology after a close member of their family developed cancer
Billionaire brothers Simon and David Reuben invested £11m in the new breast technology after a close member of their family developed cancer
Dr Eugene Libson, a radiologist at the Hadassah University Medical Centre in Jerusalem said: 'Mammography is an old fashioned technology which requires examination of x rays by the naked eye.
'And we know that it is not as good at finding cancers in women under 50 who, it could be argued, should be offered screening.'
In recent years the breast screening service in the UK has been hit by a number of scandals where radiologists have not read mamograms correctly and missed cancer in some women.
Dr Libson added: 'The new scanner is extremely hi tech and doesn't require a human to be accurate. You get a result on a screen and there is no peering at x ray films to try and find a tumour.'
Real Imaging expects the machine to be used initially alongside mammogram machines as a back up technology but believe it could one day replace the mammogram completely.
Professor Kefah Mokbel, a breast specialist at London's St George's Hospital, said: 'It's an interesting technology and there is certainly a need for other methods than mammogram machines. I would see it being used for moment with mammography because it could very well detect a cancer not seen on conventional secreening.'


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2031086/Breakthrough-breast-cancer-scanner-detects-lumps-using-X-rays.html#ixzz1WLhQ9p2G

26 August 2011

TORONTO: Lawyer Matthew WILTON wins COURT Appeal against CPSO.

The case of Dr George Gale v. the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario: A legal analysis, Pulsus Group Inc

Toronto Lawyer Matthew WILTON, 127 John St.

25 August 2011

UK THE SUN: 1-million unemployed youth

Lost generation ... 1m young Brits are NEETs 

One million young Brits are ‘NEETs’

Record numbers languish
on benefits

A LOST generation of one million youngsters are now NEETs - Not in Education, Employment or Training - shocking figures reveal.

Record rises have seen the number rocket over the past 12 months - alarming experts.
There were 979,000 16 to 24-year-olds languishing on benefits in the second quarter of this year, up by 107,000 in just 12 months.

spacer

The number of 16 to 18-year-old NEETs dipped slightly as more stayed on at school or college.
But policy watchers are horrified at massive increases in 19 to 24-year-olds. There are now 794,000 NEETs in this age group, up by 119,000 - or 18 per cent - in a single year.
Analysis by the Institute for Public Policy Research think-tank has revealed this is the biggest annual rise since records began in 2000.
The situation is worst in the North West where one in four 19 to 24-year-olds - or 141,000 young men and women - are classified as NEETs.
Their numbers have shot up by 36 PER CENT in just 12 months.
In the East of England, which has 81,000 NEETs, there was a 27 per cent hike. IPPR associate director Dalia Ben-Galim warned: "These figures confirm that the Government is not doing enough to support young people. While the planned expansion of apprenticeships is welcome, it is clearly not enough."
Shadow education secretary Andy Burnham said: "These figures show that the Tory-led Government is being far too complacent, and risks leaving the next generation behind."
Earlier this week it emerged British bosses are snubbing school leavers in favour of hiring European migrants.
Firms said they were attracted by their "positive attitude and skills".
But education minister John Hayes said: "We're taking action to get our young people into work, helping restore a sense of responsibility and pride in our communities."
1 Tip for Weight LossQuantcast

UK: DIABETES - 8% of NHS PILL BILL

Soaring obesity levels mean NHS is now spending 8% of its entire medicines bill treating diabetes

  • Cost rises to £725m from £513m four years ago
By Daniel Martin
Last updated at 1:53 AM on 25th August 2011



Britain’s obesity crisis has led to a massive increase in the amount of money spent on drugs to treat diabetes, figures show.
Diabetes drugs now account for 8.4 per cent of the NHS medicines bill, costing taxpayers £725 million a year.
The amount spent in 2010/11 was up an enormous 41 per cent on the £513 million spent in 2005/06. This compares to an 11 per cent rise in the overall cost of the NHS drugs bill between the two periods.
Obesity has been linked to the spiralling number of people developing type 2 diabetes, a condition which the NHS spends 8.4% of its budget treating
Obesity has been linked to the spiralling number of people developing type 2 diabetes, a condition which the NHS spends 8.4% of its budget treating
One in every 25 prescription items now dispensed is for diabetes - accounting for 38.3 million items, according to the England data from the NHS Information Centre. This is up 41 per cent on the number in 2005/06 (27.1 million).

Most of the rise is down to the treatment of Type 2 diabetes, which is linked to obesity and unhealthy lifestyles.


Around a quarter of adults of now obese – so fat their health is in danger, but experts believe that by 2050 this could exceed 50 per cent.
There are 2.5 million people in the UK with Type 2 diabetes while a further 850,000 people are estimated to be undiagnosed.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TYPES 1 AND 2 DIABETES


Type 1 diabetes is caused by a lack of insulin output because of auto-immune damage to the pancreas gland.
The most common cause in Type 1 diabetes is the body’s own immune system.
Insulin-producing cells in the pancreas of people with Type 1 diabetes are destroyed by cells that normally defend us from invading organisms.
Type 2 diabetes is caused by insufficient production of insulin in the pancreas and a resistance to the action of insulin in the body's cells - especially in muscle, fat and liver cells.
This form is strongly associated with being overweight, but it's less clear what causes it.
In the first few years after diagnosis with Type 2 diabetes high levels of insulin circulate in the blood because the pancreas can still produce the hormone.
Eventually insulin production dwindles.
It follows warnings that the NHS could be bankrupt by the middle of the decade unless Britain gets to grips with what has been called the ‘obesity timebomb’.
Many people are on a combination of drugs to try to keep their blood sugar levels under control, and two out of three items now dispensed manage the body’s own production of insulin.
The next most commonly issued drugs are injectable insulins, which are vital when the pancreas cannot produce enough of the hormone itself.
Insulin works by keeping the level of sugar in the bloodstream within a normal range.
NHS Information Centre chief executive Tim Straughan said: ‘Today’s report paints a picture of an ever increasing drugs bill to cope with the demands of society triggered by diabetes.
‘This information will help people and health professionals see the impact that caring for diabetes has on NHS prescribing; and support the NHS in planning for how to best address the condition moving forward.’
Bridget Turner, head of policy and care improvement at Diabetes UK, said: ‘This report reinforces that diabetes is one of the biggest health challenges this country faces.
‘Increasing diabetes prevalence has largely caused this rise in cost and numbers of prescriptions. Diabetes UK believes that people should have access to the most appropriate treatment to manage their diabetes and reduce the risk of devastating complications.
‘The long-term costs of poor diabetes management, such as caring for someone who’s had a heart attack or stroke, lost their sight or lower limb, far outweigh those of the drugs that help prevent such complications.
‘Investment in education, support and improving access to reduce variations of care will empower people to effectively self-manage their condition. This will tackle the spiralling rates and costs of diabetes and help those diagnosed with the condition stay healthy.’
Obesity also increases the risk of heart disease, stroke, liver disease, and certain types of cancer.


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2029566/Obesity-NHS-spending-8-total-medicines-treating-diabetes.html#ixzz1W2U1A3sF